Council Tree Covenant Church in Fort Collins is a member of a denomination called The Evangelical Covenant Church (ECC). It’s a relatively smaller organization as far as denominations go with about 850 churches in North America. Their main page is an excellent place to dig further on where our denomination and we as a church are coming from. Check it out covchurch.org.
Being a part of the ECC we approach our Christian belief by holding these six affirmations as central:
- We affirm the centrality of the word of God. We believe the Bible is the only perfect rule for faith, doctrine and conduct.
- We affirm the necessity of new birth. New birth in Christ means committing ourselves to him and receiving forgiveness, acceptance and eternal life.
- We affirm a commitment to the whole mission of the church. Mission for us means evangelism, Christian formation and ministries of compassion, mercy and justice.
- We affirm the church as the fellowship of believers. Membership in the Covenant church is by confession of personal faith in Jesus Christ and is open to all believers.
- We affirm a conscious dependence upon the Holy Spirit. We affirm the Trinitarian understanding of God as Father, Son and Holy Spirit. It is the Holy Spirit that enables our obedience to Christ and conforms us to his image, and it is the Spirit in us that enables us to continue Christ’s mission in the world.
- We affirm the reality of freedom in Christ. Christ delivers us from the power of sin and moves us by His, while creating a climate which allows for differences of opinion in matters of interpretation, doctrine and practice.
For more information please visit the Evangelical Covenant website.